Thursday, December 14, 2006

Book Review: "The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King"

In the past, I managed a bookstore. I can tell you that the best things that can happen to a book are:

  1. Being featured on Oprah (even before her book club)
  2. Good word-of-mouth
  3. Good reviews

I bought the book because of one of the reasons (No, I am not Oprah) and am passing on the favor with a review.

For the few of you who have not yet read this book, please do. I found it a most enjoyable read. Yeah I know it has been around a while, but I finally had time to pick it up and read it last month. At 282 pages (Trade Paperback edition), it was a smooth and quick read.

The book chronicles a series of ultra(uber?)-high stakes poker games pitting the banker, Andy Beal, against a group of poker pros in mostly heads-up cash games.

I thought the book did a good job of fleshing out the poker pros. You can really feel their discomfort as the stakes are raised and raised again.

Given the stakes I currently play, it still amazes me to read of blinds as high as they were playing. Anytime the blinds get higher than the median US income, it seemed unbelievable.

I enjoyed reading about the gadgets Andy Beal had made to even up the advantage the pros had. Just reading about why he made the gadgets improved my game.

I know that the author, Michael Craig, has been to at least one of the WPBT (World Poker Blogger's Tour) Las Vegas get togethers, and was well received (at least by the bloggers who were at least semi-sober). Maybe some day I will be there.

Overall a very good book, especially if you like poker!

Comments? Questions?

Enjoy the Pokery Goodness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home